Restoration of Cellular Frequency Coverage on
Radio Shack PRO-34 Handheld Scanner
1. Remove battery cover and battery, four black screws on rear cover, and volume and squelch knobs.
2. Remove rear cover, lifting back and up to clear controls. Do not remove belt clip or circuit board
3. Unplug the brown volume control connector (grn/yel/blk) and white squelch control connector (wht/blk/red) from the linear circuit board.
4. Unsolder the ground lead from T111 (at corner of linear circuit board above the external power connectors). Unsolder the two power switch leads from the back of the volume control. Unsolder the antenna connector center pin and ground wires from the linear circuit board.
5. Unscrew the four combination screws that hold the linear circuit board and received the back cover screws.
Grasp the linear board at the top and lift it straight away from the front case, unplugging the 16-pin connector.
6. Remove the three screws holding the metal frame assembly which held the linear board to the front panel. Unplug the red-black power lead and lay the frame aside. It is still connected to the battery contacts.
7. Locate diodes D9 - D12 on the volume control side of the of the logic circuit board under T1; D10 and D11 are marked. Clip one lead of D11, separating the gap. This may be resoldered later if desired.
8. Reassemble the board by reversing the disassembly procedures above.
Return to Main Menu.